Saturday, August 11, 2018

The Doohan Committee



I tend to agree with the other reviewers. Even if you believe aliens from other worlds are visiting ours (and crashed at Roswell), this documentary probably won't thrill you, unless you are a great fan of James Doohan (Scotty from “Star Trek”). It's badly edited, for starters. Nor does Doohan sound very excited about narrating it.

Personally, I'm not skeptical to the UFO phenomenon as such, but I'm a definite non-believer when it comes to the ETI hypothesis. “UFOs Above and Beyond” gives too much credence to George Adamski, Bob Lazar and Majestic-12, which I think have all been thoroughly debunked by now. I also wonder how much of the supposedly sensational footage of alien craft shown in the production have been double checked? The real meltdown comes after about 20 minutes, when Doohan (or perhaps his script writer) express his belief in the…face on Mars.

Good grief.

In the end, I give “UFOs Above and Beyond” two stars qua documentary, but perhaps three as cultural studies...

No comments:

Post a Comment