Thursday, August 9, 2018

Somehow, the old astrology seemed more convincing...



There are many things wrong with astrology. As a long-time sceptic in matters astrological, I knew already as a teenager that the Zodiac actually comprises 13 star constellations, rather than the official 12. The rouge constellation is known as Ophiuchus (The Snake-Holder), and is situated in-between Scorpio and Sagittarius. But there's more. The astrological sun signs are badly out of synch with the real star constellations, due to a phenomenon known as precession. Thus, if you were born in the "sun sign of Aries", you were actually born when the sun passed the constellation of Pisces! Which may or may not explain a lot of things...

These arguments, I thought, count as pretty decisive evidence against astrology. That is, until Walter Berg entered the stage. According to Wikipedia, Berg's real name is Barry Parkinson, and he is actually a British astronomer, when not stinting as an astrologist. As an astronomer, Berg (or is it Parkinson?) naturally knows the truth about Ophiuchus and precession. So he decided to devise an entirely new version of astrology, taking these things into consideration. Do I believe in it? Of course not. But it sure is great fun!

Just when I got used to being a boring, hard-working family man, read Capricorn, Berg comes along, telling me that I'm actually a New Sagittarian! Well, thank you Walter. Apparently, I'm neither too conventional nor narrow-minded. Actually, I'm always the first to jump up and sing at the Karaoke machine, I'm good at sports, and I love adventurous travel.

Not.

Somehow, the old astrology felt more convincing. But perhaps I'm just being too conventional and narrow-minded?

:D

But then, it could have been worse. I could have been a New Ophiuchan! "He is the ultimate hypochondriac who nevertheless sees himself as the one to cure people of their ills. He is a self-proclaimed paranoiac and yet he has the insight to heal the world of its madness. He can be prudish and at the same time laughs at social convention."

Gee, sounds like Woody Allen.

No comments:

Post a Comment