Monday, August 27, 2018

Does it bite?




LOL. I haven't seen a Yule Goat for a long time. And I *live* in Sweden. The other reviewer is right. The goat is placed beside or below the Christmas tree, together with the Christmas gifts. No idea why. Some people place the goat close to their doorsteps. As guardians against invisible pink unicorns? Apparently, before Santa Claus came to our distant shores, a man dressed like the Yule Goat delivered the Christmas gifts on December 24! This bizarre tradition disappeared at some point during the 19th century. I admit that I prefer the jovial, bearded and fat elf to a horned monster coming down my chimney (or whatever the preferred mode of entrance of the goat might have been). But then, I would probably make a very bad Norse pagan anyway…

No comments:

Post a Comment