Friday, August 10, 2018

Just a bunch of pheasants




Stephen Green-Armytage is a professional photographer whose work has appeared in LIFE and other magazines. He has also published several artistic, colorful books on birds, and even a couple of wall calendars.

In my opinion, "Extraordinary Pheasants" is his most boring book. But perhaps I'm spoiled by "Extra Extraordinary Chickens" or "Extraordinary Pigeons". Sure thing, all the usual pheasant species are in this book, including Diamond Pheasant, Golden Pheasant and Peafowl. And yet, it feels as if something is missing. I can't put my finger on it. Perhaps the pheasants just look to normal. Many of the chickens Stephen documented in "Extra Extraordinary Chickens" had personality (no kidding), and the ornamental pigeons sure had shock value.

The pheasants are just...well, pheasants.

Sorry, Stephen my man, only THREE STARS for you this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment