Monday, September 17, 2018

Not very heraldic



I posted a lot of "flag nerd" reviews on Amazon. Perhaps too many - I suspect this is the reason why Amazon eventually banned me, since most flags are sold by the same third party seller. Hence "biased reviews" according to Amazon´s fucked up algorithm. 

Nice design, but this flag was never officially adopted by Gotland, a Swedish island in the Baltic Sea. The flag was proposed in 1992 by an expert on heraldry, Per Andersson, in his book "Nordiska korsflaggor". I'm not sure why he choose these particular colors, since the traditional coat-of-arms of Gotland show a white ram on a blue shield. It seems strange that a heraldry nerd doesn't follow, well, heraldry! On Swedish sites, I've also seen versions with dark green crosses. The light green variety is from Wikipedia. I haven't had time to check Andersson's original book...

No comments:

Post a Comment