Saturday, September 1, 2018

From Tuva with love




And now, the real story. Tuva isn't an independent state, but a "republic" within the Russian Federation, i.e. it's still part of Russia. Tuva was nominally independent 1926-44, but then it was Communist. Bogus postage stamps from Tuva are a virtual growth industry, and even have their own entry at Wikipedia! 

Apparently, some ostensible "Tuva stamps" show unlikely Tuvan subjects such as Bart Simpson and the Teletubbies. My guess is that Airedale Terriers are pretty unlikely inhabitants of a Russian-Mongolian border region, as well. But hey, I don't mind. 

I think bogus stamps are great fun, as long as you know what you're getting, and the price isn't too extortionate. I used to buy "stamps" like these at the local supermarket as a kid! Therefore, I give this product (probably made in Britain) five stars anyway. But don't tell me I didn't warn you.

No comments:

Post a Comment