Friday, September 7, 2018

The kernel of the Deutsche Dogge




OK, I admit it. I tried to read Goethe's magnum opus, master piece and work of complete and utter genius, the two-part Kammerspiel "Faust".

I dismally failed.

I suppose I just don't grok poetry. When poor Faust uttered some melodramatic words, and put a chalice with red wine to his lips, I think everyone else got it. I didn't. "OK, what's the dude playing at here?". Then, I read the explanatory footnote: "Here, Faust is trying to poison himself".

Oh.

If I don't even understand what's going on in *that* kind of situation, I don't think I'll ever get it, so I stopped reading. I also wonder why "MonsterQuest" didn't notice the strange black creature mysteriously appearing in Faust's room? Surely a sea-serpent of some kind...?

Instead of finishing "Faust" (yeah, like you ever did - and no cheating, it's in *two* parts), I ordered Goethe's "Erotic Poems".

Well, he was a universal genius, wasn't he? :P

No comments:

Post a Comment