Saturday, September 8, 2018

I just broke the first rule




LOL. Good old "Fight Club". Edward Norton, Brad Pitt and Meat Loaf (?!). OK, I admit it. I loved this film when I was younger. Ten years ago? Watching a TV rerun of it just a few hours ago, I felt nothing special. I suppose I have other interests now.

But sure, it's not a *bad* movie. If you like bizarre, unusual stories with unexpected plot twists, you're gonna love "Fight Club". It's not a co-incidence that this twisted story is considered a cult movie!

The main character (who is unnamed) is a bored, lonely white-collar employee with some pretty weird pastimes who meets a mysterious stranger on the airplane. The stranger, Tyler Durden, convinces him to join a fight club which turns out to be a cover for an advanced terrorist operation against modern civilization. The plan is to recreate a more natural, primitive society with economic equilibrium by blowing up all major credit institutions. Sounds eerily familiar, somehow. The Unabomber? Deep Green Resistance? However, the political message is really a footnote to the rest of the story, with its various subplots, each more insane than the other. "I know you are a tourist".

Apparently, "Fight Club" is based on a novel and is supposed to have some really deep message about the alienation of the late 20th century White male. Or something to that effect. Others see it as a protest against consumerism. I admit that neither I nor my buddies got it. To us, it's simply an absurd cult classic, featuring Brad Pitt - neither more nor less. It's a movie you might like if you enjoyed "True Romance", "Pulp Fiction" or (perhaps - but that's a very big perhaps) "The Matrix". If the film is "about" anything, I'd say it's a fictionalized case study of a very severe bout of schizophrenia!

And don't forget: The first rule of "Fight Club" is... ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment