Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Europe is wild



"Wild wonders of Europe" is a sensational, stunning and indeed jaw-dropping coffee table book. I'm surprised it's not more widely known!

It contains superb colour photos of both wilderness areas, wildlife and plants, all made in Europe. Frankly, it covers pretty much everything, from shorebirds to whales, from dragonflies to moose, from orchids to flamingos... You get the picture. The photos of wilderness landscapes are particularly excellent, and feel even better than the photos of animals.

My only problem with this book is that the text pages opposite the photo pages very often deal with something completely else! There seems to be a total disconnect between the illustrations and the actual text.

I lived in Europe all of my life, and I had no idea there were still so many relatively pristine wilderness areas on "our" continent. I'd imagine "civilization" had taken over pretty much everything by know, complete with the obligatory crows and house sparrows. It seems at least part of Europe still rocks!

"Wild wonders of Europe" would make a perfect birthday or Christmas gift (I bought it for my parents this Christmas), but it might also be a good gift to yourself, especially if you think all of Europe looks like the Ruhr area or Chernobyl.

Ten stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment