Early voting started in Sweden today. And yes, I sneaked out on my lunch break to vote. There is apparently a common stereotype that the typical early voter is either old (as in retired) or disabled. It can´t be literally true, since half of the Swedish electorate vote before election day.
But guess what?
At the polling station of my choice, I was the youngest guy standing in line - and I´m a GenXer. Everyone else was 70+, disabled or both?! The New Sweden was also represented, since one of the election workers was a Somali. And yes, she was way below retirement age. The Swedish election official, on the other hand, looked just as old as most of the voters!
Having a rapidly aging electorate does come with issues all its own, for instance confused seniors trying to enter voting booths which are already occupied, LOL.
Enough ethnography for today.
No comments:
Post a Comment