Saturday, July 28, 2018

The flag book of Admiral Dönitz



A review of "The Great Flag Book" or "Flaggenbuch", a very rare product. 

This is a reproduction of a Nazi German flag book published during World War II by the German navy. It does contain all flags of both independent nations and colonies, as they looked like circa 1939-41.

Nazi flags are prominently featured. So are the flags of various Nazi occupation authorities and collaborators, including the banner of the Czech "president" Emil Hácha, the flags of the fascist Ustashe state of Croatia and its leader Ante Pavelic, the symbols of the puppet Slovak Republic, etc.

The entire book oozes Nazism, so make sure not to show it to your suspicious-looking skinhead neighbour: he might decide to beat you up, snatch the book and offer it to the local Aryan Nations chapter! I keep my copy in a special locked compartment, and my dear Giant Schnauzer is ready to "take care" of any White boy who wants to steal it.

Yeah, really.

But sure, since "The Great Flag Book" actually is a flag book (and a great one, too), it also includes the Soviet and American flags, the flags of various British dependencies, and a few places you're probably never even heard of. I mean, how many people have heard of Tuva, a small Communist state at the Soviet-Mongolian border? I have! But then, I was a super-nerd already as a kid! I admit that my knowledge of Chinese or Indochinese pseudo-states is a bit scantier - I couldn't make out some of those.

The Flag Research Center (based in Massachusetts, of all places) published an exclusive, numbered edition of this mother of all (Nazi) flag books in 1992. For no apparent reason, I bought one. I don't know what number my copy has, but the moment my guard dog calms down (he really doesn't like skinheads), I have a closer look.

And yes, I know you guys really hate my humour, so I suspect a couple of non-helpfuls on this one. BTW, the part about the dog was a joke. But sure, I don't keep this one on my coffee table, lest my neighbours get some really funny ideas about my political preferences...

You see, I'm a liberal.

No comments:

Post a Comment