Saturday, July 28, 2018

New World...what exactly?!



14 people on Amazon voted "non helpful" to this review, one of them commenting "Whatever it is you have, I´m glad I didn´t come down with it". Bird-watchers and bug-collectors must be completely irony-deficient or something...

New World...what exactly?! New World Blackbirds???!!!

Read my European lips, there aint no such thing as New World Blackbirds. There's only one card-carrying, RSPB-recognized Blackbird, and it sure doesn't live anywhere near Old Missouri. I'm talking about good ol' Turdus merula merula, the EUROPEAN, COMMON, STRICTLY OLD WORLD Blackbird, a.k.a. The National Bird of Sweden (and then some).

The New World "Blackbirds" are actually Icterids, a notorious bunch of avian impostors, interlopers and provocateurs!!!

I mean, please come on. "New World Orioles"? They're not really orioles. "Meadowlarks"? They're not really larks. "Cowbirds"? They're not really cows. Should I continue? Or do you get my brownie point?

Just because you emigrated to some God-forsaken land beyond the Pillars of Hercules, doesn't give you the right to claim that a bunch of sub-passerine phoneys are blackbirds. I repeat: there simply is no such thing at your end of the Holarctic panhandle. This book is about Icterids, and nothing else. The only authentic Blackbird in known existence, resides outside *my* window, and don't you ever forget that!!!

You see, I'm a liberal.

No comments:

Post a Comment