Saturday, July 28, 2018

The return of Klaatu in the etheric



I admit that I liked this movie, in contrast to most other reviewers. Sure, it does contain all the usual Hollywood stereotypes: "ma'm, we nuked the cloud, but it's only getting bigger". Yet, I think the stereotypes worked quite well this time.

I also liked the philosophical message.

The cosmic Green warrior Klaatu is on a mission to exterminate humanity (while saving animals and plants) in order to make room for a new and hopefully more intelligent race. However, he eventually realizes that humanity is contradictory and perhaps worth another chance, after all. What turns him is the music of Bach, the love and sorrow of ordinary humans, and an exchange with a philosophical scientist (starred by John Cleese, of all people). "We change once we reach the precipice". Well, let's hope you are right, John!

My only problem is the end of the movie, where all electricity and gasoline mysteriously disappears. Unfortunately, I don't think 7 billion people are going to change reaching *that* kind of precipice. Mass starvation and cannibalism on an unprecedented scale are more likely. While technology isn't going to save us, all by itself, it sure as hell is part of the solution. (Klaatu's own people have high tech, including cybernetics, interstellar travel and nanoprobes.)

Is this the best movie around? Hardly. However, it works well as late Friday night entertainment. In fact, I assumed it would be worse, reading all the negative reviews!
In the end, I give it four stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment