Friday, July 27, 2018

I´m going to be charitable





SPOILER WARNING! SPOILER WARNING!

The Vatican is threatened by an anti-matter bomb in the middle of a papal election. Four prominent candidates to the papacy are kidnapped and held incommunicado. Until they are murdered in various grizzly ways, that is. The secret order of the Illuminati claims responsibility, and Professor Langdon of "Da Vinci Code" fame is called in to crack their usual symbols and riddles. This time, he has to work even faster - the bomb is set to destroy most of Rome at midnight the same day. The usual suspects turn out to be the good guys, while the good guys turn out to be...well, Illuminati.

OK, I admit it. I didn't threw up when watching "Angels and Demons". The film is better than "The Da Vinci Code". But then, virtually everything is better than *that* horrendous production!

"Angels and Demons" is also more irenic. This time, the old men of the Catholic Church and their security apparatus turn out to be on our side. The Illuminati are the criminals. The pro-occult tendencies of the first movie have been quietly excised, and I don't think anybody so much as mentions the Devil. The story ends with faith and science holding hands in the election of a new pope, while one of the cardinals gives Professor Langdon a precious document by Galileo. Amen to that.

As for the God particle...please come on. ;-)

I really wanted to diss "Angels and Demons", but I admit that it's OK as lighter Friday night entertainment (or Thursday night, in my case). I feel charitable nine minutes past midnight, so I'll give this film three stars.
How about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment