Friday, July 27, 2018

Here today, gone bonkers



Ha ha ha. This is funny, and sure brings back some memories. In first or second grade of elementary school me and the other kids loved "Here Today, Gone Tamale", showed by none other than my father (who volunteered for this rather risky assignment - what if the kids wouldn't have liked the cartoon? Ooops.) But, of course, we did. Frankly, we went almost nuts by laughter! For some reason, my father was always showing "Here Today, Gone Tamale" together with the truly bizarre soccer game from "Bedknobs and Broomsticks", another classic in the kiddie entertainment genre.

I was surprised to learn the other day that the cartoon is only 6 minutes long. As a 7-year kid, it felt like a feature film! I must have laughed so intently that it felt like energy spent during at least one hour... Talk about going bonkers.

I don't think the plot of "Here Today, Gone Tamale" stands a closer analysis, but if you absolutely must know: the starving mice of a Mexican port hire Speedy Gonzales to steal cheese from a ship guarded by the cat Sylvester (the bad guy). Speedy Gonzales is, of course, the fastest mouse in Mexico. Unless I'm mistaken, he was actually called "the fastest mouse in the world" in Sweden.

I'm sure he is, LOL. As for the Mexican "stereotypes" some people have complained about, please come on, the cat's an Anglo so que es la problema, chico? ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment