Sunday, May 14, 2023

Spiritually awake

 

Not the West Coast, but the pine forest in Himalaya
where Shiva danced and seduced the sages´ wives


So I took the free and short Religious Typology Quiz at the website of the Pew Research Center. The Center has developed a typology of religious and irreligious people in which the US population is divided into seven categories: Sunday Stalwarts, God-and-Country Believers, Diversely Devout, Relaxed Religious, Spiritually Awake, Religious Resisters, and Solidly Secular. I´m not American, but took the test anyway just for the hell of it (pun intended).

I´m apparently Spiritually Awake, which I suppose is *almost* true, but it´s funny to note that according to Pew´s survey, the typical person in this category is a White Christian female with New Age beliefs (?!) who is unlikely to vote Republican and may live on the West Coast! Well, I´m apparently an outlier anyway I do it, since a perhaps less serious test I took a few years ago classified me as a Sikh! Rather than, let´s say, a freak.

The survey also contains some other intriguing information, for instance that the Solidly Secular (presumably a close proxy for outright atheism) tend to be White, male, young, liberal, and highly educated. The most conservative groups (Sunday Stalwarts and God-and-Country Believers) have a female majority…

The first link is to the quiz, while the second is to the first page of the survey report. The quiz is presumably much shorter than the questionnaire used during the actual survey. 

Religious Typology Quiz

The Religious Typology


3 comments:

  1. I took their political quiz, too. More outlier stuff, LOL. The quiz classified me as "Ambivalent Right", but when I read the description of the various groups, I´m much closer to the category they call "Democratic Mainstays". Except for two details: I´m much less religious, and I´m not particularly "warm" towards, ahem, the Democratic Party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Ambivalent Right" seems to be something like a Never Trump Republican, say Mitt Romney in his current incarnation. "Democratic Mainstays" seem to be something like pre-woke Democrats circa 1970. Albert Shanker?

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2021/11/09/beyond-red-vs-blue-the-political-typology-2/

    The types in the right-hand bar.

    Quiz:

    https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/quiz/political-typology/

    ReplyDelete